To collect normative parameters data, lists were prepared containing visual (action and object pictures) and verbal (verbs and nouns) stimuli. The questionnaires were distributed online via the online survey platform
virtualexs.ru, each list was completed by 100 neurologically healthy Russian speakers. The resulting values of the normative parameters (except for those of name agreement) are averaged from all the participants’ responses for each stimulus.
Picture normative parameters
– Name agreement:
Actions: Name in one word what the hero (heroes) is doing in the picture. Objects: Name in one word the object in the picture. % Name agreement was calculated as the percentage of the most frequent nomination from all the nominations. H-statistics – a measure of naming variability that was calculated according to the formula presented in (Snodgrass & Vanderwart 1980).
– Action/object familiarity: Actions: Rate the degree to which you are familiar with the action presented in the picture (how frequently you perform it / see or hear others perform it / think about it). Use the scale from 1 (barely familiar) to 5 (very familiar). Objects: Rate the degree to which you are familiar with the object presented in the picture (how frequently you see it, hear it or think about it). Use the scale from 1 (barely familiar) to 5 (very familiar).
– Subjective visual complexity: Rate the complexity of the picture (not the action/object) regarding the number of details and lines. Use the scale from 1 (simple picture) to 5 (complex picture).
Normative parameters for the words
– Age of acquisition: Tell at what age, as you think, you acquired this word. Use this scale with age intervals (from 1 – «1-3 years» to 5 – «after 12 years»; with a three-year step).
– Imageability: Rate how easy it is for you to imagine the action/object denoted by this word. Use the scale from 1 (easy to imagine) to 5 (hard to imagine). *
– Image agreement: *Try to imagine the action/object denoted by this word. After clicking on a button the corresponding picture appears. * Rate to what degree the picture agrees with your image. Use the scale from 1 (doesn’t agree at all) to 5 (agrees very good). *
– Objective complexity: the size of the .jpg picture file in KB. – Frequency: lemma frequency according to (Ляшевская & Шаров, 2009). – Length: length of the 3d person form (in syllables and phonemes) and infinitive of a verb (in syllables); of the NOM case of a noun (in syllables and phonemes). Additional verb parameters – Reflexivity: the presence of the postfix “-sa”. – Instrumentality: the need of an obligatory instrument to perform the action. – Name relation: the instrument has the same root as the verb (for example, “пила” pila – “пилить” pilit’).
An object and action naming experiment has been carried out using the stimuli of the database. The naming latency data can be provided on demand by agreement with the project authors.